It doesn’t matter how busy your life gets, you always have to remember to take time to relax ad unwind with your friends. Right about the time the adult world hits and work bogs you down and perhaps even college classes take their toll on your sanity, that’s when you need to step back, request a day off, and plan a fun get-together with your friends. (You might want to tell those friends to request a day off work, also.) While there are many themes to choose from for your party, here are six great, popular party ideas for you to start with.
- Cinco de Mayo Fiesta Party: With Cinco de Mayo rapidly approaching, start planning a fun fiesta for you and your friends! Display cute fiesta candles all around your house or backyard, wherever you’re throwing your fiesta party. If you choose to decorate your backyard, pick up a fiesta decorating kit to make your party planning that much easier. Plan on serving chips, salsa, and salsa con queso for your guests to snack on. Also, would it be a Cinco de Mayo party without drinks? Pick up margarita mix and daiquiri mix, but add fruit juice rather than alcohol for a fun, fruity summer mocktail—this way, your guests get the feeling of margaritas, but everyone stays safe for the entire day. Serve those delicious mocktails in bright-colored margarita glasses to add to the fiesta-feeling of the day!
- Poker Night Party: Who doesn’t love a nice, relaxing poker night? It’s a night for you and all your friends to dress down, get away from work, and play some cards to relax. While it doesn’t seem like something you really need to decorate for, the decorations are usually half the fun of a party. Place a sign in your yard so friends who haven’t been over in awhile know right away which house is yours. Decorate the game room with clear bulb lights to give the room a relaxed, fun feeling. Designate a table to the side of the room as the snack table—cover it with a green tablecloth and then sprinkle it with blackjack confetti. Invite your guests to partake in a potluck and have everyone bring a snack for the group to enjoy. By the end of your relaxing poker night, hopefully everyone will have won some fun prizes and enjoyed some great food.
- Movie Night: Make some popcorn, call your friends, and pick a few movies to watch! Conduct a small survey of your friends prior to movie night to find out what genre everyone wants to watch—this way, you’ll know what extra funky decorations you can add, like cardboard standees of Marilyn Monroe, plus you’ll be able to pick out a few movies for your guests to choose from. Offer up the following genres: horror, comedy, old Hollywood, and musical. That way, the guys you invite won’t hear “romance” or “romantic comedy” and back out. The next step is to put together little snack bags filled with candy for your guests to enjoy during the movie(s). Finally, plan on providing soda and popcorn for your guests (hey, it gives you a reason to buy popcorn containers).
- Football Party: Take a Sunday or a Monday off and plan a football party! Get all the classic game day snacks: pretzels, potato chips, salsa, queso, and maybe even cook some hot dogs and hamburgers! Set up a table with a serving tray so your guests can easily pick and choose what they want to snack on—and place some mug-shaped candles in the center. Also, set up an inflatable mug-shaped cooler for your guests to grab beverages out of. Give your guests foam footballs to toss around during commercials—but make sure any breakables are out of the room! Place football-shaped mylar balloons and bunches of colored latex balloons around the room to give it that final, finished touch.
- Girlfriend Party: Get all your girlfriends together for a girls’ night in! A great way to relax with the girls is by putting in a romantic comedy, kicking back on the couch, and diving into some popcorn, chocolate, and girl talk. Just remember, you can’t have a girls’ night without a lot of candy—chocolate lollipops, candy bars, and other types. This also sets you up for adorable favors, like compacts, coasters, and mint tins. Make the night memorable for your girlfriends!
- 80’s Party: Create a fun, throw-back party by decorating around an 80’s party theme! You can have all sorts of fun, dress up in 80’s attire and blast Michael Jackson and Cyndi Lauper on your stereo. It’s all about neon colors, so bunch bright balloons together all around the room. Hang a door cover on your front door to help set the mood for your guests. This blast-from-the-past party is sure to make your guests feel like they stepped into a time machine, but a dance party will definitely help them relax!
Whatever theme you might choose, the main thing to remember is to not stress about the party planning. Your guests will love to be able to just have a time to get away from their crazy, hectic, adult lives and have a little fun again.